Thursday, July 6, 2017

First Look At Dunkirk 2017 Movie

When a movie is about an important historical event I always want the history to be about right, give or take a bit. The trailers are a bit worrying in this regard as they seem to be suggesting that this was a solely British event and this movie may drift off into the fiction as to what was the actual level of resolving of the British government at that time. I am not interested in a pure flag waving movie. I'm always psyched for a new genre for Nolan to tackle, he hit it out of the park with Memento , fleshed out the most human of superheroes , blew my mind on multiple levels with Inception, and reminded me why we look to the sky at night with Interstellar.



As someone who loves a good biopic, getting to see Nolan's take on the battle of Dunkirk as both of my grandfathers fought for the liberation of France and we're part of the D-day invasions. Of the 300,000 troops evacuated, 140,000 were French and Belgian. So Britain did not "cut and run". If these troops hadn't escaped, they would have been killed or captured. Britain most likely would have had to capitulate to Germany, and the Nazis would have had control of all mainland Europe and Great Britain by 1941, Allied invasion and ultimate Liberation of France would have been almost impossible. That is why this story needs to be told and I applaud Nolan for taking on the task. I just recently saw "Following" for the first time. Then I revisited the trailer for this movie, and I felt an overwhelming feeling of joy. Christopher Nolan has grown significantly as an artist but has maintained his creative stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment